Thursday, January 17, 2008

December / January Kitchen Progress

Progress is still slow on the kitchen but rather than making a huge push and burning out we're taking a more steady approach.

What's New... Well the back door is back in it's rightful place after a $200 + Electric/Gas bill I didn't think we could afford to wait any longer. Unfortunately I didn't get the frame completed like I wanted to so we'll need to take the door off the hinges again here when it gets warmer out to finish up.

I found matches for the vent covers that we have in the downstairs kitchen and bath. I'm not sure if they were original to the house or not but I think they are well suited anyways. I was able to get three but I'm still keeping my eye out for one more for the office so all of the downstairs will match. The one on the right is the original from our house and the shiny one on the left is one of the ones I got off of Ebay. I'm leaning strongly towards repainting the ones I got from Ebay as they have a little rust on them and they aren't quite the right color.
Also the kitchen has some new insulation and is missing a rather large swath of wall when the outlets and backsplash are going to go.

I am also looking into Veneer Plastering to fix the missing pieces of wall that we have obtained over the course of this project however I am having some difficulty coming up with materials in this part of the world. I have a call into a local plastering company I'm hoping that they will be able to point me in the direction of a supplier.

5 comments:

Fred said...

Found your article interesting - because my basement project required us to take down all the insulation. Now that it ran past the summer into the present (winter), the draft blowing through is making our G+E bills INSANE. Our house is rather large, but in the past had cost us around $250/mo or so. Now, with the cold winter upon us and no insulation on the block, we're up around $500.

Fred
www.oneprojectcloser.com

Jennifer said...

How lucky to find a match for the vent covers! I hope you can find another one.

Erin said...

fred,
Ouch $500. How many square feet do you have? We are at about 2000 square feet with very little insulation. I think our kitchen might be the only insulated room in the house at this point. Although we do have attic insulation.

Erin said...

jennifer,
I was very happy to find the vent covers the original we had was stamped with the manufacturer Symonds and after a quick ebay search I came up with a match a few months ago. At that point I was unwilling to spend 50 bucks on a vent cover so I let it pass but I kept checking on eBay and took a look at some reproductions Even to get a new one that would fit our opening I was going to be looking at $50 regardless so figured it was worth it to get matches. Ebay is an amazing place!

Fred said...

We have 3300 sq. ft. and are in the baltimore area. I have found many "drafts" in the house that need to be fixed.. and I just haven't found the time/method to plug them all. As I work on rooms, I am planning to make sure they are pretty sealed - but it is a challenge!

Also, we have electric heat, which might be contributing to the problem.

Fred
One Project Closer