Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Weekend Update - The Grand De Dusting

We had a successful weekend on the house we finally got the kitchen de-dusted and Chris did a very impressive job replicating the trim on the two windows that we added. I spent Sunday night shellacking the wood, a process I am not going to do again that dyed shellac is a total and complete pain in the ass to work with but I committed myself early in the process and at this point I just need it to match. I'm going to see how dying the polyurethane or using the dye to make an alcohol stain works with the pine in future projects I also want to tame the color a bit as it turned out a bit darker when brushed than I intended. Anyways on to the photos...


2 comments:

Kelli said...

I think the stain looks lovely. Maybe when you have more of the room done you won't find it too dark. You're much braver than I am, dying your own stain. That's way beyond me. I'm still getting comfortable using the stuff as it comes out of the can!

Diane Ayers said...

Did you thin the shellac before application? I found that a thiner mix like a 1 lb. mix is easier to apply. With a thiner mix, you just apply it in 2 or three coats. Also I don't dye the shellac. I have found that staining before you finish with a clear shellac seems to give a better result - Diane