Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The Verdict

Here is the window panes after removing the first round of Peel Away 6. In the "Ass Kicking Power" category of the triad Peel Away 6 falls flat.
There were some things I really liked about the product. First of all it was a different consistency than the other paint strippers I have used thus far it was a bit more pasty and made a little less of a mess during the removal. Second of all I liked the cleanup, that it used denatured alcohol rather than mineral spirits. Then there was the smell... seemed to be a bit milder than most. It did do a good job on my test spots on the back stairs but that isn't really enough for me to purchase this product again. The back stairs are shellacked if I was patient enough I could sit there with my denatured alcohol and scrub that finish off.

I did decide to try the peel away on the door to the stairs. Here is a side by side comparison
This is after using the heat gun and two rounds of stripper. Citristrip on the left and Peel Away 6 on the right. I think the citristrip results are far better, the thinner texture allowed Citristrip' to better permeate into the grain and into the cracks and crevices.

Next door frame, I will try Jasco Green strip. I used it on the doors that I have taken down into the basement and I am interested to see how it does on a vertical surface.

1 comment:

Todd Fratzel said...

Nice blog. I recently started a home improvement blogroll to get more readers and meet other home bloggers. If you're interested you can check it out at http://homeimprovementblogroll.blogspot.com