Saturday, June 9, 2007

Mowing the Grass

It had been a couple weeks since i had mowed the back yard. I gotten to the front on Monday, but by today the grass was 8 inches long. So with my trust 1975 Simplicity lawn tractor i headed out to the backyard.

To my surprise the backyard was full of wild flowers, mostly the same type, but it was pretty cool to see. So I ran back to the house and got the camera before I cut the flowers down with the mower.

Here is a full picture of the backyard












Here is a closer picture of the Orange and Yellow flowers.There are more daisy like flowers like the one below, but at the time i didn't even see them.

You can just barely see the moss in this picture. I just wanted to get a picture of it because it grows all over the place in the very back of our yard. It has given me the idea to start a small bog garden. Maybe 10 feet in diameter.
So all of it is mowed down now, well not all. I couldn't mow all of it. So Erin and I went out and marked were we wanted to put the fire pit and seating area around it. Then i mowed the grass shorter around were i wanted to keep the wild flowers. The plan is to then add more flowers by seeding the area heavily. I will post pictures of the beds later this weekend when I get the pictures taken and some of the daisies moved over.

1 comment:

St. Blogwen said...

I really like your idea of leaving part of your yard as a wildflower meadow.

It's also nice to know I'm not the only one who experiments with differed brands of paint stripper.

And though it may not seem like it with all the stress and mess, you really have gotten a lot done.

Kate H.
www.sowsearhouse.blogspot.com