Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Stupid Pine!

Attempt 3 on the staining was little more successful than attempts one and two however it wasn't a total loss I did really like the gel stains. Next time I have a non-pine project I'll have to give them a try.

After the latest failed attempt I decided to try a new approach. Many of the finishing sites suggest using dyed shellac to deal with the pine problem. Prior to this I was shying away from any colors that were not premixed as precision is not my forte. But remodeling a house isn't for the faint of heart so last night I purchased the Dark Walnut and Brown Mahogany TransTint Dyes from Rockler http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11448&filter=Dye along with set of mixing cups.



If this works out the way I planned (ha!) and I can get a color I like. I can then mix up a gallon of the trim color which I hope will be more than enough to get me through the kitchen and if the colors don't match exactly room to room I don't think it will be a huge deal.

No comments: